Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) has become a hot topic in research as scientists unlock the critical role it plays in multiple processes associated with health, longevity and aging. While your body produces its own NAD, and it is present in every human cell, NAD levels begin to drop as people age beyond their reproductive prime.
The good news is that, according to the latest research, supplementing NAD via IV infusion therapy can slow or even reverse cellular damage and aging as natural production of NAD begins to wane. Regular NAD treatments have the potential to prolong your years of good health and productivity.
What is NAD and How Does It Fight Aging?
NAD is an important metabolite that works with enzymes to regulate a variety of processes in human metabolism, including energy production, DNA repair and synthesis, and protection against carcinogenic responses leading to cancer. NAD is critical for supporting cellular mitochondria, the powerhouses of the cells responsible for converting food to energy.
The human body has multiple systems in place for synthesizing, distributing and using NAD, but those systems tend to become compromised as you age, leading to lower levels of NAD in your cells. Depletion of cellular NAD can set off a cascade of systemic deficiencies that undermine your health and promote overall decline associated with aging.
In study after study, mostly using laboratory mice, supplemental NAD has been shown to halt and reverse the aging process and restore cellular health. Supplementing with NAD precursors can help to ensure that your body has ample NAD to meet its metabolic demands over the years.
What Other Benefits Does NAD Treatment Provide?
In addition to its anti-aging properties, NAD IV therapy is beneficial for optimizing health and treating a variety of conditions and disorders.
Benefits of NAD treatment include:
- Increases energy and elevates basal metabolic rate (BMR)
- Helps you achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- Aids in recovery from addictive substances
- Used in the treatment of PTSD
- Reduces pain and promotes healing
- Improves cognitive function
- Combats neurodegenerative disorders
- Fights chronic fatigue
- Combats anxiety and depression
- Promotes the growth and maintenance of lean muscle tissue
Because NAD is found in every cell, it stands to reason that NAD depletion can negatively impact every system in your body in one way or another. And what is aging but the breakdown and failure of metabolic systems at the cellular level?
How to Boost NAD Levels for Better Health
The most effective way to naturally boost your NAD levels is through regular daily exercise that challenges your body’s systems. Exercise, especially resistance training, increases the size and number of mitochondria in muscle cells, dramatically boosting your metabolism and enhancing NAD synthesis.
Good nutrition can also enhance NAD production. Stick with a plant-based diet with ample amounts of sustainably raised organic meat, fish and poultry. Avoid grains and sugars that reduce insulin sensitivity in your cells.
A high-fat ketogenic diet that includes healthy fats like avocados, olive oil and coldwater fish, with limited carbohydrates and zero processed foods, can help increase NAD production. Intermittent fasting, where you restrict your food intake to a 4-8 hour window each day, is also highly effective.
High-quality oral supplements may help boost NAD, but it is important to note that oral supplements often lose their potency during the digestive process, and much of their beneficial properties never make it to your cells.
The most effective way to supplement NAD is via intravenous infusion. NAD IV infusion delivers NAD directly to your bloodstream, bypassing your GI tract with its potency intact. Once it enters your circulatory system, NAD is quickly transported to the cells throughout your body that need it the most. Regular NAD IV therapy sessions can help ensure that your NAD levels never drop to dangerously low levels that threaten your health.
What to Expect During Your NAD IV Therapy Session
Many people are squeamish when it comes to needles, but when administered by a trained clinician, NAD IV therapy is minimally invasive and nearly painless.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Prior to your session, you will be carefully screened for any indicators that IV therapy is not recommended for you. If everything looks good, you will be comfortably seated in a relaxing lounge chair and the clinician will start your NAD treatment.
- Throughout your session, you can relax, scroll social media on your phone, work on your computer, read a book, or even take a nap. Your session can take up to one hour, so come prepared with something to do!
- Once your IV drip is complete, you can go about your daily business. Since NAD is a nutrient and not a drug, NAD IV therapy has no negative side effects, and you don’t need a prescription.
- As with any nutrient, you will need ongoing therapy to maintain healthy NAD levels. The clinician administering your NAD treatment will be able to advise you on the recommended frequency of your NAD IV therapy sessions.
Get IV NAD and IV Vitamin Therapy in NYC
Good nutrition is foundational to optimal health, but getting all the nutrients you need from the foods you eat is nearly impossible. The professionals at InVita Wellness are dedicated to helping you live your best life with IV vitamin therapy, vitamin injection therapy, and local and whole body cryotherapy. To look and feel your best year-in and year-out, contact InVita Wellness today and book your first NAD IV therapy session.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Kincaid, John WR, and Nathan A. Berger. “NAD metabolism in aging and cancer.” Experimental Biology and Medicine 245.17 (2020): 1594-1614.