Ah, those lazy days of summer vacation! Time to get away from it all for a little rest and recreation. Sadly, fewer Americans truly take vacations any more, and when we do, we bring the lives we should be escaping with us…excess baggage that weighs us down and ties us to the daily grind. When that happens, not only are your depriving yourself of a much needed break, you are depriving your family of the stress-free happy version of yourself they rarely see.
To make the most of your vacay, try applying these tips to have a happier healthier time!
- Don’t Over-Plan: The “time is money” mentality is so deeply ingrained in our culture that we try to squeeze the most out of every minute. This mindset can lead you to over-plan, turning your getaway into a get-er-done! Limit the number of planned activities and leave plenty of wiggle room for doing nothing!
- Indulge, in Moderation: No matter how disciplined you are in your day-to-day life, vacations are no time to be hard on yourself. Eat a little ice cream, enjoy a bagel, stay up until midnight or sleep in until noon. Relax the rules a little and let yourself enjoy things that you normally deprive yourself of. Moderation is key!
- Get Outdoors: Spending time in nature has many benefits, including improved mood, better sleep quality, decreased blood pressure, increased Vitamin D levels, and a sense of being part of something larger than yourself. Revel in the sun on your skin and the breeze in your hair. Take your shoes off and go barefoot in the grass or on the beach!
- Do Fun Activities: Vacation is a time for fun! Find things to do that have no rhyme or reason other than to make you laugh. Skip the museum and go to the zoo. Nix the gym and walk on the beach. Forget the history tour and play in the ocean. Turn off the TV and play board games with your family. Fun times create cherished memories for years to come.
- Get Extra Sleep: You may normally rise before the sun and power through your day without stopping, but vacation is a time to relax and restore, and nothing does that better than sleep. Grab a guilt-free afternoon nap before dinner, or go back to bed after catching the sunrise. Doze off in a shady hammock or snooze under your beach umbrella.
- Say No to Stress: Refuse to be stressed out while on vacation. What time is it? Who cares? Take off your watch and stop checking your phone. Stop thinking about projects at work or bills that need paying. They will be there when you get back home. Give yourself permission to just chill.
- Unplug: Sure you want your friends on social media to see what a great time you are having, but save the pics and post them when you get home. Turn off your electronics and leave them at the hotel. Constant engagement with the world is a huge source of modern-day stress that you do not need while on vacation.
- Try Something New: Part of what makes vacation memorable is having new experiences that challenge, thrill and awe. Try paddle boarding, or ride the zipline through the forest. Swim with the dolphins or try your hand at shuffleboard. Seek out new experiences that change you in positive ways.
- Go Native: When in Rome, do as the Romans do! Skip the chain restaurants and try the mom n’ pops. Don the local couture and forget about your designer togs. Let your hair down, or pull it up in a messy bun. Skip your normal makeup routine and try going au naturel. Let your true beauty shine through!
- Eat Fresh: With summer’s bounty of fresh fruits and veggies, there is no excuse to eat processed or fast food. Eating clean will keep you from vacation weight gain and super charge your system with the powerful micronutrients it craves.
Most of all, don’t worry about the things you have no control over while away. Follow these tips, and when your vacay finally comes to an end, you will feel rested, recharged and ready to take on the world with a whole new attitude!
Once you return home, don’t pick up the baggage you left behind! This is a great time to establish some new, healthy lifestyle habits. Treat yourself to a weekly Whole Body Cryotherapy session to boost immunity and stimulate cell production. Do monthly IV Vitamin Therapy to restore a healthy balance of micronutrients to keep you performing at your peak. And be sure to get a CryoFacial to keep you looking fresh, young and gorgeous!
Advanced Cryo NYC has everything you need to manage stress and stay healthy and happy all year round, even when not on vacation!