After a long and lazy summer of chilling at the beach or by the pool, fall weather brings with it a plethora of sports events that put you back in action. However, being unprepared can place you at risk for injury. Making a smooth transition from low-key living to physical activity requires some commons sense prep to maximize your safety and performance on the playing field.
These six tips will help!
- Get a thorough checkup: Letting the doc check you out and give you the go-ahead for sports is the first step in avoiding injury or other health episodes during play.
- Dress for success: While sportswear has a fashion element, it is mostly designed for functionality. Invest in new supportive footwear, and don all protective gear designed for your sport. Dressing in layers is a good strategy to keep muscles warm while not in play, reducing your risk of injury.
- Don’t skip the warmup: Playing with cold muscles is a sure way to cut the playing season short with an injury. Keep moving between plays, and stretch afterward to ease delayed-onset soreness.
- Water, water everywhere: You lose loads of liquid through sweat, saliva and breathing during sports. Drinking water before, during and after keeps your muscles hydrated and pliable, and your vital organs humming along. Add a little Himalayan salt and lemon to your water to replenish electrolytes.
- Eat like a pro: Elite athletes understand the importance of good nutrition. Be sure to get plenty of protein for muscle repair and growth, and enjoy fall’s bounty of fresh fruits and veggies to meet your micronutrient needs.
- Make time for recovery: Your body takes a beating during sports, and recovery is crucial to optimal performance. While you recover, your body builds and repairs tissue and replenishes energy stores. Sleep is critical to optimize physical
performance and mental acuity.
At Advanced Cryo NYC, we take sports seriously, offering services and therapies aimed at optimizing performance and speeding recovery. Nip muscle and joint pain in the bud with whole body or localized cryotherapy, or schedule a micronutrient IV treatment to boost energy and optimize hydration. Conveniently located in the trendy SoHo district, Advanced Cryo NYC offers a unique menu of therapies and services, all geared to keeping you young, healthy and beautiful, any season of the year.